Looking for ways to boost the quality of your mental health?
- Have a routine of self care – something that a lot of people struggle with is having a daily routine of self care. Do whatever you need to do to ensure it happens. Put it into your calendar, set up a reminder, write it down on a sticky and place it in a location that is visible. One of the best pieces of advice I received was setting up regular self care at the end of the day, so that no matter what happens, you always have something to look forward to.
- Create – try to do something creative, even if you don’t feel like it. Doing something new can be both challenging but rewarding. Take an art class, write in a journal, write a blog etc.
- Sleep Regulation – try to the best of your ability to keep a normal sleep cycle. Make small changes that will help you to transition to sleep. Turn off electronics, keep your bedroom dark, try meditating. One of the best apps I have found for meditating is called “Insight Timer.”
- Start talking to someone – tell someone “I am feeling really down.” Let it out that you are having a hard some. Call a close friend or reach out to local resources to support you. You don’t have to struggle in silence.
- Stop Distracting Yourself –We need to feel emotions instead of going around them. Become aware of how you are feeling and accept the emotion. The more you fight it, the more intense it will become.
Don’t forget with every small behaviour change, celebrate your successes.